That’s a trick question, right? Everybody wants to be on the cloud, correct? Not necessarily.
Cloud-based telephone-systems are in high demand these days for a number of reasons. Those include:
- Cost savings – Some small businesses that switch to cloud-based VOIP for their telephone system can save as much as 40 percent on local calls and 90 percent on international calls.
- Flexibility – You don’t have to be sitting at your desk, next to your phone, with a cloud-based VOIP. Cloud phone systems enable you to work anywhere with a working Internet connection. You can set up an IP phone, plug in your laptop, or use a soft phone on your Smartphone to make phone calls from your cloud phone system.
- Dependability – Cloud-based systems generally experience very little downtime or service interruptions. One big reason is the components of the system are not housed in one location. This minimizes downtime and service interruption.
- Additional dependability – Most service providers employ multiple servers that back each other up. For example, let’s say a provider has a server in New York and one in Los Angeles. If the server in New York goes down, calls will be routed through the server in Los Angeles–or vice versa–in the very unlikely event of down time.
- Hosted service – Traditional phone systems require all sorts of equipment. Cloud-based systems require an a data switch and an Internet connection with an IP phone.
While that’s a rather compelling list of reasons to buy a cloud-based system, there are some reasons not to. First, it will require an investment in IP phones and potentially a data switch. Depending on the size of your organization, this may or may not be an obstacle. For many small businesses, the savings realized by cloud-based VOIP quickly make up for initial expenses.
Another reason might be an ISP that frequently drops your Internet service. This could impact your phone service. Of course, you can fix this problem by finding an acceptable ISP. If you’re locked into a contract with a subpar ISP and can’t get out, that might be a problem, albeit a temporary one.
Do you think a cloud-based phone system would work for your business? Give us a call to set up a complimentary meeting to gauge the best solution for your business.